3.22.2011

Nigel Corso

I know you’re probably wondering why I’m hiding here away from everybody, but the whole situation started when the bell rang signaling the end of 3rd hour biology. Mr. Thompson’s biology classroom sits in the darkest corner of the school where all floundering students meet their doom, because Mr. Thompson is the biggest textbook loser in the history of this darn school, and he was ready to piss me off a little more.
“Corso did you turn in your project?” Thompson inquired.
“No Mr. Thompson, because my compu-“ Mr. Thompson cut me off.
“Corso you need to get your act together, because if you don’t I’m going to kick your sorry behind of this campus.”
The bell rung signaling the end of class, and thank God, because I was through talking to that dumb loser. I walked out of the class with my friend Gordon complaining about Thompson all the way.
“ I hate that class,” complained Gordon
“You don’t know half of it. Hey are you going to the park with me?” I asked him. I hated going to the park alone with all the druggies and white trash, I was sure to have my wallet jacked one of these days.
“Uh no I’m gonna go meet Jamie at lunch, sorry.”
I shrugged and walked away towards the park which sits in the middle of the campus. While walking I stared straight down at the cracked sidewalk and the weeds filling in the cracks in the concrete, and it really made me realize how crappy this place is. They boast about having some boss equipment and nice facilities and crap like that, but nobody gives a crap about whether they’re rundown and stuff like that.
“Darn it!” A voice shouted from a courtyard to the left of me, and my head swiveled in that direction. For a moment I didn’t see anything, and then I some kid book it past me. I heard some swearing from that corridor, and the two guys speed after that kid.
“Holy crap!” I cried out, and dove frantically for cover. The two gangbangers ran out, and one of them tackled that kid. Then they just started whaling on this kid, and I thought one of them cut him with a knife in the back. I crept over the hill tentatively to get a better look, and one of them was Easton Park, my best friend.
“Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap,” I yelled to myself. I was in deep trouble, and there was no going back.
The two kids looked around and I knelt as stiffly as a deer in headlights, and it hurt to even watch that kid down their bleed. Then the gangbangers ran away, and I ran like hell towards the bleeding kid, and turned him over. His face looked like it was stomped on, and his nose was bent way to the side. I didn’t think he could even open his eyes, because they were swelled up like balloons. I could see the cut marks on his back from the knife, and they must have pounded his arms with rocks or something like that, because bones were sticking out from his arms. His legs were contorted oddly, and probably sprained or fractured, and stuff like that. I took a closer look at his face to see if I knew him, but nope I’d never seen him before.
Then I remembered one of the bullies was my best friend… crap. That didn’t seem at all like Easton because he was such a goody two shoes. I didn’t know why he would beat that kid, and it bothered me. What would’ve happened to Easton if I told on him? I walked back to my apartment, and tried to listen to my ipod, and forget this thing, but the look on that beaten kid’s face was so messed up. The doorbell rang and I went to answer it. It was Easton. Immediately sweat started pouring down my hands, and I shuffled my feet nervously, Oh God I knew he had found out. Someone had told on me, and I was screwed.
“Nigel, what’s up, we were supposed to go bowling tonight remember?” he said
“Oh hey I must have forgotten about that.” I said, but in my mind I was screaming I know what you did you loser, what the hell are you thinking.
“Well are you coming or not?”
“Yeah sure.” You idiot, you freakin’ loser, you killed a darn person.
We got into his car, and I couldn’t think straight, I was losing my mind and my vision was blurred, or something. God, I was so nervous.
“I don’t think I’ve seen you today. What’s been up?” Easton said
“Not too much. That Thompson jackass kept on bugging me again.” Do you even realize what you’ve done? You deserve to die, and you dragged me into this.
“I hate that class, so much, he doesn’t even teach. Oh here we are.” Shut the hell up. You going to hate me later, so just hate me now.
We went into the bowling alley and paid for the bowling balls and other crap. Easton threw his bowling ball, for a perfect strike. I realized he probably didn’t even care about the beating, and he wasn’t the person I thought he was. He was just another druggie idiot. I couldn’t even begin to tell you how nervous I was. My hands were so sweaty, I dropped the bowling ball when I tried to go, and I couldn’t get my freaking conscience out of my head. I kept on hearing voices in my head telling me I had to tell somebody about him, but he was my friend. How the hell was I supposed to tell on him? I just couldn’t do it. It was so awkward we spent the whole time in complete silence.
“Nigel what’s up with you? Tell me what’s wrong, man?” Easton asked.
“Nothing, I’m just tired.”
“I know something’s up with you, because you’re never this quiet.”
Suddenly I was angry. I wasn’t scared anymore; I just wanted it all to end. “What the hell does it matter to you? I can be quiet if I feel like it, and I don’t need every loser on this darn campus telling me how to live my darn life.”
“What the hell is your problem?” he said. Easton shoved my, and I returned fire, shoving him backwards over a chair.
“What the hell?” he repeated shoving me again.
“Get the heck off me!” I sank my fist into is stomach and he crumpled to the ground gasping for air. I ran away, and I knew where I was going. People always say how you never betray your friends, and corny bullcrap like that, but what happens when they kill someone? How the hell was I supposed to keep that quiet? I ran past the rows of trees and buildings until I reached the one I was looking for… the principal’s office. I tried to pull through the two glass doors at the entrance, but they wouldn’t budge.
“Crap!” I screamed. I needed to tell them what happened. I needed to clear my conscience.
“Crap!” I yelled again, getting more desperate. I clawed at the glass, I needed to get in, and I didn’t know why the hell these darn doors weren’t opening. The full moon illuminated my fingers which had started bleeding, and I couldn’t figure out why the heck I couldn’t get in these doors. I realized I was out in the open, and anyone could get me. They all knew I had the secret, and they would try and find it, and I was against the whole darn world. I sprinted to my dorm, the only safe place I knew. They wanted to know all my secrets, but I’d protect them. I knew I had to hide so they wouldn’t find me, and take my secrets, but I keep them safe in my dorm, my world, so nobody could find them. Those sorry losers could look for me all they wanted, but they would never catch me. That’s why hiding in here, because everyone else on the outside wants my secrets, but I’ll keep ‘em safe, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment