3.21.2011

Winston Carter

I try not to think about that day much. It screwed up the last two and a half years of high school for me. I mean, I was always that kid that stood by, got good grades, and didn’t make a big deal out of anything, but this... This messed up the plan to just get by. To just make it to college, THEN strive, and live. I had to suffer so much internally from that, and I couldn’t tell my parents. They’d’ve had a cow!

Anyways, yes, I will tell you about how it happened. It started in our sophomore year at Roosevelt Prep. This kid, William, he was a great. Nice kid and everything, but kinda weird. We were normal high-schoolers, trying all sorts of, whatever they could get into. That day William went to go make a deal with one of my friends, Abraham, and some other kid, Easton, I think. Well, William wanted to get whacked, and Easton had the stuff. I was minding my own business walking between classes doing everyday normal stuff.

Abraham was a loser, but he was my friend. Ya know, everybody has that one friend that’s terrible, but you still hang around with the guy. He could hook me up too. He had connections, but that day Will musta’ been buying some hardcore stuff. Easton wanted to do that in person. I dunno what really happened behind the school that day, but from what I heard, Will wanted the stuff and Easton wanted the money. Both of them needed to get their stuff before they’d give the other guy what he wanted. You can see how that’d be an issue. Well it got physical. Quick. They musta’ gone ape on him, ‘cause the next day he was all cut and bruised.

I asked the Will what happened, but he denied anything happened. I kept pushing him till he broke. He told me to get lost, or something like that. Whatever. Well, after I heard about the deal, I figured Easton bullied him into not sayin’ anything, so I went to find Easton and straighten it out. Normally I’m a quiet guy. That is until you do something to my friends. Then I will rip off anybody’s head and burn their body for my bros.

When I found Easton I just punched him. I didn’t care. He had it coming for him even if he didn’t do anything to Will. Well it broke into a full scale brawl before you knew it. He started hitting me I was hitting him. One of us was going to bludgeon the other to death if it wasn’t broken up. Abe was both of our friends. He got us to finally calm down, but both of us were a bunch worse for wear. Once we were done I started asking him all sorts of junk about what he did and didn’t do to Will. He told me it was just a deal gone wrong and nothing more. Nothing big would happen from it. I knew it probably was something like that, but Easton needed to be brought down off of his high horse. He thought he could do all sorts of junk and not get caught or nothing. To him nothing would ever happen. I thought it was time to change that. But I already told you I’m loyal to my bros, and Abe was my bro. He was in on the deal gone wrong, and I didn’t have crap on Easton without a story from Will, and, even if I did, Abe would get hosed too. Man I couldn’t do anything without screwing over one of my guys. I already told you, nothing is done until my guys are fine and taken care of. After that, they weren’t. I couldn’t tell without Abe getting screwed. I couldn’t not tell and have Will just suffer from everything coming from Easton, and if I did nothing, it’d be like screwing both of ‘em.

It was the most intense moral dilemma that I’ve ever endured. Even until now. That was intense. I was going back to my house when this loser came up to me. We called him No Name ‘cause he had this long complicated Russian name. Well, No Name asked me if I knew what happened to Will, and this situation was so messed up that I just pretended that I didn’t know what he was talking about so I could hear his side. He said that last week Will did something that upset Easton, and that was why Easton pounded him. Abe was there to try to break it up, and calm down Easton. I didn’t believe that. Abe never calmed anybody down. He was all for fights to break out. Man, at that point I was about ready to off myself, but I knew that wouldn't help anybody.

Then I just went home. I went home and laid on my bed, and I started thinking. Life was so complicated. I had three choices. Three different people could get hurt. Three different ways that life would never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment